Thanks to everyone who responded to my initial posting especially
Jennifer. However with regard to the point below...
============
> From:          Jennifer Sutton <[log in to unmask]>

>... but the
> basic premise behind web access should be *universal* access, and
> that means for blind people, people who're deaf, people with
> learning disabilities (for whom graphics may be ideal), etc.  Access
> should *not* be dependent upon a screen reader, or even PW Webspeak.
>  Web pages should be accessible to all, from the ground up,
> regardless of the access method. JFW, PW-Webspeak, and other similar
> software, in effect, rewrites the page, or rearranges it, for a
> blind person .  These choices are good work-arounds, and necessary,
> at times (since the web isn't accessible now).  I firmly believe,
> however, that they side-step the larger issue, essentially
> furthering beliefs by web masters that "somebody else can help those
> blind people."  This is not to suggest that web masters consciously
> think this.  Most don't because they don't know enough to.  As with
> most access issues, awareness is the key.
 =========
Am I missing the point, but if web pages are written to contain all
information that the author intends them to relate, then how
accessable they are is really a matter of appropriate layout (handled
by the browser). In which case shouldn't it be the browser (all
browsers) that is customisable to suit an individuals layout choices?

Or am I just being Dim?

Yours
Simon.
Simon HARPER