Surely the point, Phyllis (and yes I do agree with Anita and I disagree
with Lennard)) is that both Black Studies and women's studies have a
sufficient depth and breadth of theorising to represent and include a
larger number of experiences, which is unsurprising because these theories
have been developed by Black and female academics and activists, even if
they are now being hijacked by 'others'. Black theory, feminist theory and
gay and lesbian/queer theory are consequently not unitary nor
universalising theories even if some sections are more dominant at
different times in history. What disabled people have is (mostly) a choice
between the intellectual musings of non-disabled academics, a rigidly
bounded social model (UK - which was developed by a relatively small and
unpresentative group of disabled activists - and USA versions, but what
about non-Western versions?) and medical/rehabilitation models. I think
your remark is rather facaetious.

Mairian

P.S. Happy Mark?

>Anita,
>Do you think that Black Studies and Womens Studies, etc. include a
>sufficient # of experiences "to represent the right theoretical approach."
>Smile,
>Phyllis Rubenfeld
>
>On Thu, 1 Oct 1998, Anita Silvers wrote:
>
>> I think there is healthy disagreement about what constitutes a
>> disability studies perpective.  Mairian Corker and I would dsagree with
>> Lennied and Simi, among other differences.  So the last thing I want is to
>> have any group claiming to represent the "right" theoretical approach.
>> We test the correctness of any theoretical approach against our own
>> experience, asking whether the theory conforms to and illuminates our
>> experience.  A theoretical approach that denies certain aspects of
>> experience excludes those whose experience doesn't conform.  I have yet to
>> see a disability studies theory that is sufficiently elastic not to
>> exclude some PWDs, but I have seen disability studies scholars attempting
>> to impress (not present ) their theory on others.  It reminds me of the
>> othe SDS, of which I was a member for a short time.  I don't know whether
>> itwas climbing the stairs to Tom and Casey's apartment, or once there
>> sitting through interminable discussions of purifying theory, that was
>> more dispiriting.

*********

"To understand what I am doing, you need a third eye"

*********

Mairian Corker
Deafsearch
111 Balfour Road
Highbury
London N5 2HE
U.K.

Minicom/TTY      +44 [0]171 359 8085
Fax              +44 [0]171 226 0539
Typetalk (voice) +44 [0]800 515152 (and ask for minicom/TTy number)