Hi David,

You wrote:

>Mairian.....I was NOT trying to be provocative, but rather present my
>understanding of the UK and US concepts.
>
>On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, Mairian Corker wrote:
>
>> I think David is being provocative and perhaps has read rather selectively.
>> He knows perfectly well that this is an innacurate interpretation of UK
>> theory.
>  Obviously I am wrong. I did not know how wrong! But alot of my
>incorrectness comes from a totally different idea of "theory" and alot of
>my mistake comes from not using quotation marks to set off terms which are
>not the ones I use.

Thanks for clarifying this. Some of this may also be because we use
different technology and some things can get scrambled. However, in the
light of previous conversations we have had both privately and on the
mailbase, I was concerned that i had not made myself clear.

>> I think we would also resist David's use of
>> 'abnormal' which is unfortunate.
>  The term "abnormal" should have been in quotation marks, but it is the
>term widely in use in the US for people who do not fulfil the "normal"
>social roles and therefore are seen as deviants and those who also have an
>impairment who are then viewed as "disabled." "Abnormal" and "normal" are
>NOT terms I use. Their use is part of the reason I so strongly opposed the
>ICIDH.

OK though you would agree that there are others in the USA e.g. Lennard
Davis, Rosemarie Garland Thomson and Simi Linton who do use the terms
'normal', 'normate' and 'normalcy' without quotation marks which I assume
means they accept the usage of these terms?

>> though I accept that some in the USA think
>> its important and then again there are some in the USA (e.g. Simi Linton)
>> who seem to think in terms of 'different centres' rather than 'abnormality'
>> i.e. disability is a dimension/form of difference.
>  As do I. Although I have a co-edited book about to appear which stresses
>the "difference" and the "sameness" of pwd, I have moved on to stress that
>disability involves discrimination because of that "difference." The
>"sameness" is usually ignored in a pwd, I now argue, and is not important
>to discuss.

If this 'difference' or 'centre' is framed in minority group discourse (and
I'm not saying this is how YOU see it), this is where I (and, I think,
Barnes, Oliver etc) would disagree. UK theory, founded on UPIAS'
Fundamental Principles document, sees social exclusion as a primary form of
disabled people's oppression and there are elements of BCODP's policy which
argue equally strongly for inclusive education. In the recent past there
has been some resistance in the USA to our term 'inclusion' but this is yet
another term that we use differently over here and it does NOT mean
assimilation. Also I can see that there would be a middle way - that is
inclusion as a collective rather than on an individual basis. What I would
say is politically narrow in its focus is separatism based on identity
politics, because it doesn't on the basis of sociohistorical evidence
eliminate discrimination and, therefore, oppression - indeed it frequently
reproduces it - and it compromises questions of rights.

>  Rightly or wrongly I view this materialist strand as the dominant
>"theory" or concept of disability in the UK. But I do not know how to
>defend the position that it is dominant. It is my impression.

Yes it IS dominant, but that is because it has been in existence for longer
and because it has received a lot of support. Most of the other approaches
are fairly recent and have emerged out of disatisfaction with the dominant
view. There is certainly resistance to them which I think is unfortunate.
It should be possible to see disability theory as multi-stranded with the
different strands used to conceptualise different dimensions of the
relationship between disabled people and society, culture or whatever you
want to call it.

>>and [other] approaches which conceptualise
>> disability in terms of prejudice and its relationship to identity
>> (Shakespeare) and those which try to conceptualise which differences
>matter > (myself). All of these approaches are valuable in different
>ways and all of > them acknowledge that disability is a form of
>social oppression.
>  I do have a problem with the term "society" here, but not with the term
>"oppression" except that not all pwd are oppressed (in my opinion). I can
>not view Christopher Reeve as oppressed.

I too have a problem with the concept of SOCIAL oppression in union with
materialist theory. But I'm wary of using the term 'culture' for the reason
that 'culture' also has a number of meanings.

>  For me "ideological" includes the political and the pragmatic. Is this a
>semantic difference or is there some deeper difference?

I don't know the answer to this - but I think there will be inbuilt biases
against different cultural backdrops. That is what I mean by 'emphasis'
i.e. all the dimensions are there in UK and US theorising but we may
emphasise different elements. For me ideology also has a discursive
dimension (which is clear, or we wouldn't be having this discussion) and,
dare I say it, a cognitive one also, which both UK and US theory give only
cursory mention to and generally view oas oppositional. This must be
important for disability theory. I note Teun van Dijk's (1998) comment
that:

'as a general concept, ideology is hardly more vague that similar Big Terms
in the social sciences and the humanities. In many respects, the same holds
for such notions as 'society', 'group', 'action', 'power', 'discourse',
'mind', 'knowledge', among many others. These notions defy precise
definition and seem to happily live the fuzzy life inherent in such
catch-all terms that denote complex sets of phenomena and that are the
preferred toys of philosophers and scholars in the humanities and the
social sciences. Where 'ideology' differs from these other general notions,
however, is that its commonsense usage is generally perjorative ....
Definitions generally are hardly adequate to capture all the complexities
of such notions. Indeed such fundamental notions are the objects of inquiry
for theories and whole disciplines.... In sum, the various versions of the
concept of ideology are simply scholarly constructs of competing theories.'

>>Impairment, in UK theory is simply a
>physical/mental/sensory > characteristic of the person, and does not
>always have a value judgement > associated with it.
>  As I read that passage you are saying that impairment does not have a
>negative value judgement in UK THEORY. Am I correct? I would argue that in
>interpersonal relationships an impairment ALWAYS produces a negative value
>judgement.

No, I am saying that impairment does not ALWAYS have a negative value
judgement if it is just a physical/mental/sensory characteristic of the
person or if we place impairment in the context of different 'cultures'
(Barnes 1996). There is a tendency in UK Theory to resist an analysis of
impairment conjoined with an analysis of disability (Oliver 1996) and this
could be interpreted as arising from a concern that the foundations of the
social model (which depends on the conceptual distinction between
disability and impairment) will be shaken.

Do you mean interpersonal relationships primarily between disabled and
non-disabled people (though of course, as Finkelstein has noted, there is
hierarchical organisation of impairments in the disability movement). Are
you saying that Deaf culture is a negative value judgement as something
that is produced through interpersonal relationships between some deaf
people, or that the disability movement as produced from interpersonal
relationships between people with different impairments, is built on
negative value judgements?

I echo your comment, in your other email, about this listserv but I think
that sometimes we also need to learn how to 'listen' to text, because it is
clear that our readings often diverge and misrepresent. As I've said
before, I want to see this mailbase as a forum for considered debate not as
a means of making cursory comments - but perhaps that is because this is
the only forum where I can experience equality on my own 'textual' terms.
That's another reason why I'm interested in Derrida - but that's another
story.

Best wishes

Mairian

*********

"To understand what I am doing, you need a third eye"

*********

Mairian Corker
Senior Research Fellow
University of Central Lancashire
c/o 111 Balfour Road
Highbury
London N5 2HE
U.K.

Minicom/TTY      +44 [0]171 359 8085
Fax              +44 [0]870 0553967
Typetalk (voice) +44 [0]800 515152 (and ask for minicom/TTY number)