Sorry if I've repeated anything here, I wasn't paying attention to the previous
messages in this thread...

Surely, the language of a linked resource would be specified in that resource's
metadata? Is it really necessary to duplicate that information in the link to
that resource?

If you want to tell people "There's this resource available, and it's in
English"... then that should be part of whatever user interface you're
designing. Make the user interface more intelligent, rather than making the
metadata more unintelligible.

If the rights statement is just another document on the Web, then it could
(nay, *should*) have its own metadata. Even if the "DC.Rights" field in the
metadata for the rights statement just points to itself, at least you know that
the "DC.Language" field is going to be in the metadata for that document.

IMHO, the only time the "LANG" attribute should be used is if the "DC.Rights"
field actually contains the rights statement.

Regards,
Alex Satapa
(just another malapert pedagogue)