Please note:  I am forwarding this message on behalf of Martin Dillon,
Director of the OCLC Institute, an educational arm of OCLC whose mission is
to provide library managers with advanced training and educational services.

stu
--------------------------

At the OCLC Institute we have conducted many workshops which apply the
Dublin Core to various sites and collections.  In all I would say that
different
work groups have explored its usefulness across 20 or so applications
ranging from a collection of maps to a university home page.  In every
single
one of these applications confusion over the use of the three fields in
question
was the paramount concern of the participants.  They had many objections;
let me list a few.

	It is often not possible to distinguish between publisher and
creator.

	For most sites, the "publisher" is the web master and not usually
	relevant for retrieval.

	For most sites, "creator" is also the web master and not relevant
	for retrieval.

These problems and others like them caused difficulties during record
creation
and led to the observation that users, when seeking the works of a
particular
individual or corporation,  would need to combine all three fields in a
search.
If the user was knowledgeable enough to do this, he/she would be burdened
by the need.  If not, the user would create the wrong search and get poor
results.  The conclusion reached by participants was this: if the fields, to
be
used effectively, needed to be combined by users, why not combine them
at creation.

I am not at all persuaded that the many users we hope to have for the Dublin
core, both as creators and consumers, are well served by accepting a bad
design
at this early stage in order to avoid the short term heat that would be
caused
by a correction.