I'm forwarding this from Samantha Punch, who sent it to me (not sure on
what list as it had no subject, no sender, so please excuse any cross- or
duplicate posting).

gary

>Dear All,
>
>I am organising a conference session "Children and Young People in Latin
>America" at the Annual conference of the Society for Latin American Studies
>(SLAS) which will take place in Cambridge, UK, 9-11 April 1999.
>
>The recent growing literature in the new social studies of childhood
>recognises that children are competent social beings who are active in
>shaping their own lives, yet they are also constrained by the structures of
>adult society and by their generational position in the life-cycle. This
>session aims to explore both the structure of childhood and the agency of
>children and young people in Latin America. It is hoped that different
>domains of children's lives will be addressed: at home, at school, at work,
>at play and on the street in both rural and urban contexts.
>
>Please send an abstract of your paper (approximately 300 words) by 15
>December 1998, by e-mail (in plain text format) or by post. If you require
>further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.
>
>Samantha Punch
>Department of Applied Social Science,
>University of Stirling, Stirling, FK9 4LA
>Tel: 00.44.1786.467985
>Fax: 00.44.1786.466319
>Email: [log in to unmask]

Professor Gary Moore, BArch(Hons) MA PhD RAIA
Dean
Faculty of Architecture
University of Sydney
Sydney, NSW 2006
Australia

Telephone: +61-2-9351-5924
Fax: +61-2-9351-5665
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
WWW: http://www.arch.usyd.edu.au

The Faculty of Architecture, the first in Australasia, is comprised of the
Departments of Architecture, Planning and Allied Arts and Architectural and
Design Science.  It offers three undergraduate programs--BSc[Arch],
BSc[Arch]Hons and BArch, and eleven graduate programs--ranging from Audio
Design through Design Computing, Digital Media, Facilities Management,
Heritage Conservation, Housing Studies, Illumination Design, Urban Design
and Urban and Regional Planning--including both coursework, research
masters and PhD programs.  New undergraduate streams in design computing
and urban design and planning have just been approved leading to the
combined degrees BSc(Arch)/MDesComp, BSc(Arch)/MUrbDes and
BSc(Arch)/MUrbRegPlng.  Other combined degree programs and other built
environment disciplines are under active discussion.  A new graduate
program in Public Art is in the final preparation stages.  Plus we offer
Masters and PhD by research in all of the above areas plus in Design
Cognition and in Environment-Behaviour Studies.  For more information
please see our website at http://www.arch.usyd.edu.au.