For those of you not on the trauma mailing list, this appeared recently
in answer to a request for information....

From: Stuart Baker [mailto:[log in to unmask]]

Hi!

Steroids have been shown to not be of benefit in controlling intracranial
pressure or changing outcome in head injuries.  They have been suggested by
many to have adverse cerebral metabolic effects in these patients, and make
outcome worse - there is a section on steroids in the American
Neurosurgical Society's guidelines for management of severe head injury.
(end of quote)

I seem to remember recently seeing a request for collaboration in a
"steroids for head injuries" trial. I think its acronym was CRASH. There
was some discussion in this list, the upshot of which was "don't touch
it with a barge-pole - the MDU/MPS won't back you". I'm intrigued as to
the origins of CRASH, especialy as the evidence seems to be conclusive
enough already against steroids use in HI (see quote above).Is this why
the defence societies are advising against it? Can anyone illuminate me?