Several years ago I read an article in *Franciscan Studies* (Ithink it was),
suggesting that Francis died of leprosy. Now a current item in *Mediaeval
Studies* argues that Margery Kempe had a neurological complaint. The fashion
for medicalizing medieval figures goes on.

Bibliog. note: the best very concise chronological-bibliographical account of
Francis's life has now appeared. It is by Roberto Rusconi and can be found in
the latest volume ('F') of the *Diz. Biog. Ital.*, which, so far as I know, is
the best biographical dictionary in the western world. I do hope that the
rumours which I have heard that publication of this great work is to be
suspended through lack of funds is untrue.

Gary Dickson
University of Edinburgh