Apologies for cross posting
Please forward it to whoever may be interested

New formal discussion is starting on 28 September in IFETS forum on the topic:

"If only my intelligent pedagogical agent could ... !"

Moderator and Summariser: Scott Overmyer
Associate Professor, Drexel University, USA

(Pre-discussion summary below)

International Forum of Educational Technology and Society (IFETS)

http://zeus.gmd.de/ifets/

The forum aims to bring together the developers of educational systems,
and the educators who implement and manage such systems.

If you have not joined the forum yet, but would like to do so, please
follow these steps:

1. Please subscribe to the forum discussion mailing list by
sending a message to [log in to unmask] with the
following in the body of the message (no subject needed):

subscribe ifets-digest

2. Please fill out registration form at forum's website

http://zeus.gmd.de/ifets

* Pre-discussion summary

If only my intelligent pedagogical agent could ... !

This discussion is to talk about the requirements for an intelligent
pedagogical agent, and it's role in an overall pedagogical strategy for
distance or other on-online education. Recognizing that there are
domain-specific requirements for pedagogical agents, perhaps it would
be possible for us to arrive at a set of basic functional capabilities
that are common to all or most agents. It would be interesting to
brainstorm a "wish-list" of capabilities that we would all like
intelligent agents to be able to do, and then partition the list into
those things we can currently do, will be able to do in the forseeable
future, and those capabilities that may never be possible. We could then
try to fit those capabilities into an overall pedagogical strategy for
distance education. It's a large topic, and this start could provide a
bit of structure for future discussions on pedagogical agents.

Related stimulating links to the discussion are available at:
http://zeus.gmd.de/ifets/discussions/discuss3.html

           ** Future discussions on the forum **

"The role of student knowledge in the design of computer-based
learning environments"
(26 Oct. - 6 Nov. 98)
Moderator & Summariser: John Eklund
Lecturer, The University of Technology, Sydney, Australia
---------------------

"The 'next generation', like tomorrow, never comes."
(Shouldn't we be learning how to make tried and tested 'old'
technologies work for us and our students, in reliable and
pedagogically effective ways, instead of being seduced by the
blandishments of the technocrats?)
(23 Nov. - 4 Dec. 98)
Moderator: Chris O'Hagan
Dean of Learning Development, University of Derby, UK
Summariser: Karen Allnutt
Instr./training software developer, University of Iowa, USA
---------------------

Adult learner behaviors in workplace vs. educational environments
(11 - 22 Jan. 99)
Moderator: Nora Carrol
President, The First Forward Institute, Inc., USA
Summarisers:
Mary Harrsch, College of Education, University of Oregon (USA)
Karen Kaminski, Colorado State University/OIS

Rossen Rashev                     E-mail: [log in to unmask]
                http://zeus.gmd.de/hci/pages/rossen.rashev.html
                Phone: +49 2241 14 28 70, FAX +49 2241 14 20 65
GMD FIT  Forschungszentrum Informationstechnik GmbH
German National Research Center for Information Technology
D-53754 Sankt Augustin, GERMANY  (near Bonn)