I'm way out of my field here, but couldn't the same non-linear
associations be made for the illuminations that appear in the MSS, a sort
of iconographic interpretation of the text made by the illuminator which
is meant to expand the consciousness of the reader, a sort of visual
cue/prompt which comments on the text in other ways?

Clint

Clinton Atchley
University of Washington