Dear List,

We have grown considerably recently and have many new faces and voices
amongst us. New and old are welcome to kick off a discussion.
What are we all up to , just going into a new semester of teaching?
Me? I'm wondering whether to change the initial texts I use in my
History of Childhood course. I was intrigued by a workshop session at
the ISCHE conference which introduced me to the idea of photo montage in
historical research - I thought it was a useful teaching approach as
well as an unorthodox research methodology.
Richard Aldrich, from the Institute of Education, University of London
reminded me of  how evocative the photographs used to illustrate The
Plowden Report, Children and their Primary Schools are. His paper at the
Conference will remain with me and influence my approach to teaching
around the history of State Education  (I picked up a copy of volume one
of the Report, for 20p. in  the Bretton Hall Bookshop last spring -
among other ancient gems such as The Psychiatric Examination of the
School Child, M.B.Hall (1947), for 10p and English for the Rejected, D.
Holbrook,(1963), 25p)!

There, I didn't think that I had anything useful to say - was I right?
Shall I press that button ?
I'm sure that you can do better than this!

Cathy