Just a reminder that the deadline for our Visiting Fellowship is coming up
real soon - 30 September. Details are below, from the original announcement.

>Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 15:36:13 +0100
>To: [log in to unmask], socbb
>From: Nigel Fielding <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Visiting International Fellowship
>
>VISITING INTERNATIONAL FELLOWSHIP IN SOCIAL RESEARCH METHODS
>
>The Institute of Social Research at the University of Surrey, Guildford,
>United Kingdom, has established a Visiting International Fellowship to
>foster the development of sociological research methods.  One Fellowship
>will be awarded by competition each year.
>
>The awards are open to those who would value the opportunity to advance
>methodological understanding, for example by reflecting on methods used in
previous empirical research, by validating existing or new methodological
procedures, or by reviewing and synthesising methodological approaches.
"Methods" may be interpreted widely, to include, for example, statistical
techniques and conversation and discourse analysis.

>An honorarium of 2,000 pounds sterling will be paid (it is expected that
>award-holders will normally be on paid leave of absence from their
>employment).  Award-holders will be expected to pay their own travel costs
to Guildford and their accommodation and subsistence for the duration of
their award, which should be for one or more visits with a duration of at
least one month in total.  Visiting International Fellows will become
honorary Research Fellows of the University and be entitled to use the
University Library and make use of University facilities.

>The Institute of Social Research of the Department of Sociology at Surrey
>has a commitment to developing and teaching social research methods.  It
is the home of CAQDAS, the ESRC supported centre for Computer Qualitative
Data Analysis Software, and is well known for its work on the secondary
analysis of large data sets and for discourse and conversation analysis.
Other methodological interests include the computer simulation of social
phenomena and cross-national comparison.

>Applications must be received by 30th September for visits during the
following calendar year.  Applications should describe in no more than 500
words the activity to be carried out during the Fellowship and should be
accompanied by a brief curriculum vitae and the names of two referees.
Applicants may find it helpful to contact the Institute to discuss their
application before submitting it. Collaborative research with members of
the Institute is especially welcome.

>Applications should be sent to
>Professor Nigel Fielding
>Director,
>Institute of Social Research
>University of Surrey, Guildford GU2 5XH UK
>tel:+44(0)1483-300800-2797/2794
>fax:+44(0)1483-306290
>email:[log in to unmask]
Dr Jane Fielding, Lecturer in Quantitative Sociology,
Department of Sociology, University of Surrey, GUILDFORD GU2 5XH, UK
Tel: 01483 259451 FAX: 01483 259551