On my desk at home I have a document like object. It is a black and
white photocopy of a color photograph of a beautiful 19 century gold
watch, which according to the traditions of my family the thing used
to belong to Captain Johan Jakob Ankarström, a Swedish nobleman, who
was later tried and executed for the assasination of King Gustavus III
at the royal opera house in Stockholm 1792.

When young I liked to think that the captain had the watch in is
pocket when he did the shooting. Unfortunately my parents sold the
thing about 15 years ago. (Erik, we do still have the silver teapot,
though ;-) )

Anyway, what I have left is a document-like object which can easily be
described using DC. A murder is an event, and I cannot see how we
would be able to describe it without invoking some kind of a document
like surrogate. The surrogate is most likely a text, hence it must be
DC.Type text. My photocopy could possibly be said to have a
DC.Relation of the type "References", albeit the connection between
the photocopy and the murder is only supported by circumstantial
evidence. The surrogate murder _is about_ murder, it is not even a
reificated murder. IMHO, the aboutish qualities of the surrogate event
means that it is basically a matter for DC.Subject, and not for
DC.Type.

My view is that if we want DC remain simple and easy to explain, we
must stay "document-like object oriented". Then the extension to
events and chinese pottery could be implemented using other name
spaces or vocabularies which describe the relation between the
surrogate and what it represents.

Or how would it be possible to find the murder in the database
together with all other documents which are _about_ murder without
representing a particular one?

Sigge