On Wed, 16 Sep 1998 [log in to unmask] wrote:

> >I agree absolutely that if the STM community has metadata requirements
> that aren't covered by Dublin Core, it's up to us to work together to sort
> something out. I also believe this is completely within the spirit of
> Dublin Core's objective to be a minimal data set and to allow local
> extensions. What I was objecting to was any attempt to shoehorn everything
> into DC even when it's inappropriate, and especially any suggestion that
> DC.Description can become a catch-all tag.

You may be interested to look at the web pages for the BIBLINK project
where publishers are inputting metadata for their electronic publications.
A table of the elements we are using is at

http://hosted.ukoln.ac.uk/biblink/wp8/fs/bc-semantics.html

We are using DC with 'Biblink Core' extensions, in order to accommodate
data where there is no well established DC qualifier.

It may well be that in future DC does establish agreed useage for some of
these qualifiers, or at least such useage is agreed within interworking
communities.

Rachel

Rachel Heery
UKOLN (UK Office for Library and Information Networking)
University of Bath                              tel: +44 (0)1225 826724
Bath, BA2 7AY, UK                               fax: +44 (0)1225 826838
http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/