Dave - good points. This is exactly what I have been trying to say for a
year now, without making much of an impression. 'Fiddling while Rome
burns' was a phrase directed by marxist geographers to the geographical
'space cadets'  in the 1970s. I hope there will not be a need to repeat
it now in the contects of CG.

We all have different impressions of what a critical perspective actually is
- but without some combination of radical and applied elements, we will
not be listened to, or affect change, outside of the professional
geography community (and please do not forget the 'applied' side).  Writing
self-indulgent critical papers for other
geographers is only part of the job (and a very small part) as I see it -
or one to be reserved for the few who are really good at it, since we
enjoy reading them from time to time.

I am willing to be shot down!