	[Jul,Erik]

The International Federation of Library Associations (IFLA) once
sponsored a study group on the functional requirements for bibliographic
records.  The report <http://142.78.40.7/ifla/VII/s13/frbr/frbr.pdf>
concluded that bibliographic records should assist users to (1) find,
(2) identify, (3) select, and (4) obtain resources.  These functions are
defined as follows (p. 82):

1. Find.  To find entities that correspond to the user's stated search
criteria (I.e., to locate either a single entry or a set of entries in a
file or database as the result of searching using an attribute or
relationship of the entity).

2. Identify.  To identify and entity (i.e., to confirm that the entity
described corresponds to the entity sought, or to distinguish between
two or more entities with similar characteristics).

3. Select.  To select an entity that is appropriate to the user's needs
(i.e., to choose an entity that meets the user's requirements with
repsect to content, physical format, etc., or to reject an entity as
being inappropriate for the user's needs).

4. Obtain.  To acquire or obtain access to the entity described (i.e.,
to acquire an entity through purchase, loan, etc., or to access an
entity electronically through an online connection to a remote
computer).

For this discussion is seems that the selecting function is paramount:
sufficient information must be expressed to enable the user to determine
the fitness for use of the identified resource according to user-defined
needs.

The Dublin Core has long said that its goal was to facilitate "simple
resource discovery on the net."  This would be the finding function,
above.  Looking at the DC elements, however, it is obvious that the DC
community rightly felt that finding alone is insufficient, and the DC
elements began to take on other functions.  What is unknown is whether
or how well the DC elements set can fulfill the other requirements of
identifying, selecting, and obtaining.

A useful exercise is to create a matrix with the fifteen elements down
the side and the four functional requirements across the top.  Then
score each element for each function.  It rapidly becomes clear which
elements are more useful for certain functions, and it becomes equally
clear that DC is not really just about simple resource discovery any
more.

--Erik

Erik Jul