On Thu, 2 Jul 1998, Irene Molina wrote:
> a la pasada,
> dejando todo lo que no sea ingles, subyugado a la categoria "otros idiomas".

One of the hated symbols of apartheid was the classification of signs for
"non-whites / nie-blankes". It made such negative classifications taboo.
However, in Europe, the reality of language patterns is, that there is a
divide between "English" and all "other languages".

I think that ultimately this must provide the basis for European language
policy in the medium term. (At present there is no organ to implement a
European langauge policy, it is not part of EU powers). However, the
logic of the problem, that all languages other than English are becoming
residual, gives the simple solution. The official language should be
"other languages": that is, English should be deprived of its status as an
official language of the EU or its sucessor entities. Here is the simple
answer to the hegemony of English in the academic world: no more funds
for higher education in English, at least not in Europe.

> Si somos capaces de reconocer que el uso del
> idioma ingles como idioma "oficial" del discurso academico, es una practica
> neo-colonialista, lamentable y dificil, pero no imposible, de reparar,
> estaremos dando un primer paso hacia un cambio, al menos en nuestras
> actitudes.

It is too late to reduce the dominance of English by appeals to the
attitudes of English monolinguals. It has become a political question,
and I am giving the radical position: abolition. (Het Engels is trouwens
mijn moedertaal maar dat kan mij niets schelen, mensen die gehecht zijn
aan hun "eigen taal" heten taalnationalisten).

pt