Dear forum

 As previous contributors have noted, language proficiency - in this country at least
- is often regarded as a symbol of elitism.  Yet, in other countries it seems that it is
 not that unusual to speak a second or third language - especially amongst the
academic community of course.  I'm working on an EU project at the moment and
everyone, apart from most of the English/Scottish colleagues, speaks a second
language (ie English) with varying degrees of proficiency.  The English/Scottish
colleagues invariably feel guilty about their lack of ability and it would certainly
make collaborative research so much easier if we could all speak a couple of
languages. It is certainly true that there have been times when the less fluent
speakers of English have felt excluded because they have been unable to follow
all the discussions.  The real outcome of this is that it undermines their chances of
participating in future EU research networks...surely not fair!

Anyway, one reason why our European colleagues all speak English is surely
because much greater emphasis is placed on language learning in their education
systems.  Other people have already shown how this can in turn be traced to the
world dominance of English and related socio-economic/political systems.  Yet, it
is unrealistic to expect to turn this dominance around by merely putting more
non-English references in our papers!  Surely a better, long term, way to tackle
angloidism is through a drastic reform of the British educational system - ie. a
bottom-up  approach.  This reform should go right from primary level to university.
A second language should not be regarded as an elite qualification, but should be a
basic part of every person's education.

Idealistic maybe, but although I joked about the references, I do agree that
academics should take a lead.  When I wrote my Phd, I  used quotes collected from
respondents during fieldwork in Brittany.  I used their words - ie. in French, but was
advised to translate these into English because otherwise people (ie. examiners,
supervisors) would not be able to understand them.  I felt that I lost some of the
'authenticity' of those words - I 'anglicised' turns of phrase into an approximate
translation of their meaning.  There are all sorts of issues involved in translation -
as Chad Staddon mentioned - and this message is already too long!  But the point
is, that in conforming to the demands of the 'British geographic academy' I added
another building block to the fortress Angloid.  It's just one example, perhaps, of a
rigidity in attitudes to different languages and expressions..

If this debate does nothing else, at least it may help to undermine such entrenched
views...

If you've read this far, apologies if I've rambled - and thanks!!
Moya

Moya Kneafsey
Division of Geography
University of Coventry