From: Denis Linehan
CGF List Administrator

!!!!***Deletion of Crit-Geog-Forum Archived Messages Imminent***!!!! :-(

On Monday next, July 13th, Mailbase will be deleting three months of archived messages
dating from April,May and June 1996. Apologies for not informing subscribers about this
earlier but I only found out myself today.
The debates over these three months dealt mainly with Shell/RGS issues, proposals to
devise the Critical Geography Conference at Vancouver and arguments about the content
and access to this Conference.
The archived messages can be found at:
http://www.mailbase.ac.uk/lists/crit-geog-forum

For the...(how should I put this?) "Organisation" known as the CGF the deletion of this files
poses some questions.

-Should `we' be bothered about the deletion of these messages?
-If `we' should, can someone think of some way of preserving them over the long-term ?

For many reasons I personally think they should be preserved. For example, some
subscribers will have read the innovative and provocative piece in the current issue of
_Society and Space_ about the history, meaning and consequences of the Critical
Geography Conference at Vancouver. Interestingly the role of Crit-Geog-Forum in
stimulating this conference and in raising issues about participation is not given the
significance in the piece that I think it deserved. Partly as a result of this, and partly as a
result of the tortured moralism which pervades some of the article, the possibilities of the
internet and the WWW in developing an international Critical Geography Organisation are
negatively portrayed.

On Monday a significant amount of the record of the role of the CGF in developing and
shaping the conference will disappear, and with I think some of the potential, not yet
realised, of this "Organisation".

Are subscribers okay with this? Should we be happy to settle with the
official histories about Critical Geography which will be expressed
in Society and Space and elsewhere. Or in preserving `our' history can we begin to find some foothold for
the future ?

Denis Linehan
Geography Department
University of Wales Swansea