Dear all,

I have followed the recent debates on language and academia
with interest.  They have raised many points that have relevance to
my own research, so I thought it was time to stop
lurking, and to offer some thoughts.  Language is both something
which my project is looking at, and something which I use to
conceptualise and define my project (problematically at times).

My research is looking at Welsh migration to, and Welsh life in
London since 1945.  An important set of questions revolves around how
Welsh people have experienced life in the city, and how they have
negotiated their identities as Welsh people in the city.

Perhaps the key inspiration for my research is an interest in
issues of Welsh nationality, nationalism, and language.  In a whole
number of ways, issues of language are an extremely important aspect
of Welsh national identity.  For instance, groups such as
Cymdeithas yr Iaith (The Welsh Language Society) have campaigned
to gain equality between the Welsh and English language in Wales.
They heavily criticise the monolingual dominance of English in
Wales over the Welsh language, and promote
the development of a bilingual nation.

Much of my research involves talking to individual Welsh people who
have either moved from Wales to London, or who were born in the city.
Language has often emerged as an important issue, as people have
talked to me about their feelings as Welsh people, and their
experiences in London.  This has not just been Welsh speakers.
One non Welsh speaker told me that not
speaking the language didn't make her any less Welsh.

One of the problems in my research, is that, almost without realising
it, I might end up defining and delimiting what Welsh identity is,
 and then go out to London to find it.  It is very easy to focus
 on Welsh networks (such as chapels), and to look at them as
if they were the totality of Welsh life in London. And with
this, there is also a danger, of reducing Welshness,
to Welsh language.  Non Welsh speakers (who seem to be less likely to
be member of networks such as Welsh chapels), are far harder to find.

And then there's me.  I am English, came to Wales, and learnt Welsh.
I write mainly, though not exclusively, through the medium of
English.  But I draw heavily upon Welsh language material, some of
it, of an academic nature.  I conduct many of my interviews through
the medium of Welsh.  It could be argued that by learning this
language, I have gained access to both a set of people, and a
literature.  Certainly the recent debates on the forum, have made me
realise that I need to think about this.

Does anyone have any thoughts/similar experiences?

A final point.  Another issue that has been raised by my research, is
the complex interrelationships between Wales, England and Britain,
which Welsh migration to London highlights.  I can't help thinking
there is some irony, in light of our debate, that I am researching Welsh life
(with all that it entails) in the heart of the English metropolis.

Diolch am eich amser

Jeremy Segrott

Jeremy Segrott

Yr Adran Ddaearyddiaeth, Prifysgol Cymru Abertawe,
Parc Singleton, ABERTAWE, SA2 8PP, CYMRU.

Ffon: +44 (0)1792 295228, extension 4141
Facs: +44 (0)1792 295955

http://www.swan.ac.uk/geog/php/jrs
Department of Geography, University of Wales, Swansea,
Singleton Park, SWANSEA, SA2 8PP, WALES.

Tel: +44 (0)1792 295228, extension 4141
Fax: +44 (0)1792 295955

http://www.swan.ac.uk/geog/php/jrs