At 17:12 10/06/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Greetings!
>
>I was wondering whether anyone might know where I might find a copy of the
>Vulgate which I could either search on-line or download (preferably the
>latter!)  I remember being told a couple of years ago how I could get one,
>but dagnabbit if I didn't follow up on it.
>
>(This comes as a result of visiting the U of T bookstore, noticing that they
>have hardcopy Vulgates back in stock, and then noting that they cost $90
>(and aren't searchable, except the old-fashioned way :-)
>
>Susan Carroll-Clark
>

>Yes, I have used an on-line Vulgate emanating from the U of Chicago.  I
can't find the
address for the moment, but I will look it up and send it on.

A word of caution:  there were three elementary spelling mistakes in the
brief (English)
editorial matter introducing the thing.  This does not give one much
confidence in their
ability to spell Latin.  Actually I only used the thing once or twice,
because the spellings
differed very much from what one would regard as the norm.  For example, it
could not find
Eva.  I tried Heva, as this spelling is often used, but still drew a blank.
So I called up the
appropriate verses and found the spelling Hava. I do not know if this is a
mis-spelling, or
if the lady's name is so spelled in the edition they have used.  But as they
do not specify
which edition they have used, I have no way of telling.

It is very easy in this country to buy a hardback copy of the Vulgate, and
it costs nothing like $90.
I dare say you could pick one up for about $10.  Why not order it from
Blackwells?

Bill.