I'd like to add a basic point here--and I suspect this is outside the
European experience--concerning access to library resources and teachers
specializing in "arcane" subjects just as the Middle Ages. There are
many thousands of post-high school institutions in the U.S. (too many,
if you ask me, but that is a whole other subject). Most teach basic
social sciences but do not have the library resources to support the
curriculum. (I just finished teaching two semesters at such an
institution in Wisconsin). Distances are great in this country, and
students just can't get to the books we'd like them to see. Hence, we
try to teach them to use the internet. This works well because the
average 18-21 year-old crowd is, for whatever reasons, much more
comfortable and communicative with the keyboard and screen than with the
human voice and face-to-face encounters! Anyone who has begun using
email "office hours" can probably attest to that. Mr. Renihan strikes me
as such a student, one who probably would have thanked us if he realized
we would have cared. It was probably easier for him to voice his
questions to strangers via email than to talk to his own teacher. His
teacher may have suggested looking on the net, but the student probably
tried out the listserv on his own initiative. Teenagers are notoriously
susceptible to "chatroom" addiction, and listservs probably look similar
to the rooms. These students are shy and still have difficulty posing
their questions. Should they all be in college? That's the other
questions I don't want to touch. Many of you probably have the good
fortune to be teaching more confident and self-aware students. The other
kind exists in greater numbers, however. And high school students are
striving to find new learning experiences, as well. Good or bad, we
should understand the dynamics of the almost-mature mind, here. I prefer
to try to teach them, at least a little.

Deborah Shepherd