George,
    I agree that we should not give an overly enthusiastic and lengthy
set of replies to someone who joins and asks a basic question unless we
can ascertain exactly what the person's needs and interests are.  In
this case, we did ask Mr. Renihan for more details and he replied
promptly.  We then had a chorus of voices and an extended exposition in
reply, to which Mr. Renihan said nothing (at least on the list).
Stepping in when you did--with the news that the student had left--is
appropriate but not belated.  I have, in fact, seen worse (many times)
on other lists:  simple queries seeking to get expert research quickly
and with minimum effort and no discussion.
    ON THE OTHER HAND:  I really really want to hear Part 6 from Bill
East! And any other parts.  I was on the verge of trying to find the set
of responses from Bill and others in the archives to use in my classes,
where I often have students with the same view of medieval religion as
Mr. Renihan.  I must say that the responses to this query have been the
most polite, gentle, interesting, and instructive that I have ever seen
in a scholarly discussion group.
    So, Bill, would you mind indulging me a bit further as a surrogate
for Mr. Renihan?  I am not asking for new replies, but just the
finishing bits of whatever you have begun.  Thanks.
Karen Jolly

--
Dr. Karen Jolly
Associate Professor, History