Dennis D. Martin wrote:

> I must object to proposing the movie version of Eco's _Name of the Rose_
> as useful for the eleventh-grader's project.  The movie only perpetuates
> the worst caricatures everyone else on the list has been trying to
> overcome.  Whether the novel itself is useful, I question--it certainly is
> less useful than many of the secondary sources already suggested, but the
> movie is certainly a caricature of the novel.

I knew this was coming. However, I have taught students ranging from
average high school to "quality" college-level, and we must not confuse
their levels of learning. The way I see that movie as striking an
11th-grader is more advantageous than disadvantageous for understanding
certain aspects of the Middle Ages. A scholarly book or article that
bores them and goes unread is useless. You have to get them interested
before they will read anything useful. I would not waste a college
student's class time showing this movie though I might comment on it
briefly in class.

D. Shepherd