On Thu, 30 Apr 1998, R.A.Ross wrote:

> George Ferzoco wrote
> >             ..., and it makes me think that we must be thinking NOW
> > about doing something for 1999.  Any ideas for a round table?
> > A session?  A series of sessions?
> >
> > Please share your ideas with everyone on the list!
>
> We seem to have had a lot of interest in the question of burial in
> consecrated ground, and related issues. Perhaps we could look at a
> session or sessions on topics surrounding burial and cemetaries. For
> example, it might be worth addressing issues such as who was buried
> where (as we have been doing), how the burial places were chosen,
> defined, and sanctified, and how they were at times exploited by the
> church for profit. I'm sure there are lots of other interesting issues.
> Any ideas?

There is a question I have sought very unsuccessfully to answer that is to
some degree in this area.  That is the question of the origin and develop-
ment of the burial service -- i.e. the lessons and prayers read at grave-
side.  I tried tracing the ones used by Lutherans and by CofE (they are
very similar, and that I have been able to explain at least to my own
satisfaction), and I got no further back than mid sixteenth century.  At
the time I was looking for their common roots, I was operating under some
tight time constraints.  I would be plum delighted were some one to trace
this (these) service(s) (I tend to think there is but one in the fifteenth
century, but where it came from I've no idea) back into medieval times.

Pax.

Frank Morgret
15 Towering Hts -- #1206
St Catharines, Ontario