I must agree with Dennis that films like Name of the Rose perpetuate
stereotypes of the medieval church that we are trying to undo.  Having
done my first graduatte paper on Bernard Gui, I was not impressed with
Eco's depiction of him & even less so with the film's treatment of him.
It is one step about the TV miniseries on Marco Polo in which some
ecclesiastic is trying to tell "our hero" that there is no life out there
in Central Asia.  I do not expect Hollywood epics to be documentaries, but
I cannot imagine using the Disney version of the medieval church in the
classroom.

tom izbicki