Yakov,

I don't know of any places where syllabi are available, but if I had to
teach such a course, here's where I'd start looking:

Ronald Grimes, *Readings in Ritual Studies.* Prentice Hall, 1996. An
excellent collection of articles on theories of ritual published over the
past 20-odd years.

Catherine Bell, *Ritual Theory, Ritual Practice.* Oxford. An overview of how
the field has been developing.

Roy Rappaport, *Ecology, Meaning, and Religion.* Berkeley, '79. Dense, but
rewarding.

Stanley Tambiah writes interesting things on ritual and religion in
Thailand, see especially *Culture, Thought, and Social Action.* Cambridge,
Mass., '85.

Anything by Jonathan Z. Smith, the current leader of the field of
comparative religions, study of meaning in religion.

Since I recall that you are interested in spirits (so am I), I'd consider
Ioan Lewis, *Ecstatic Religion.*  Mary Douglas, *Natural Symbols* and
*Purity and Danger* are classics, with the former book also having some
interesting stuff on spirits and bodies.

Emile Durkheim and Marcel Mauss would be my choices for the foundational folks.

Hope this helps! And, if you come accross any particularly helpful urls,
could you please share them? Thanks.

--Nancy Caciola
  Department of History
  UC-San Diego