| My current project involves the Nicene Creed of 325AD.  I find myself
| in the position of having to comment on the elements that led to the
| need for this declaration, especially the statement that "Jesus is of
| one substance with God".
|
| My problem, simply, is the difficulty I am having finding any sources
| that discuss the events surrounding that particular Council.
|
| Could someone please assist by pointing me in the direction of some
| useful sources?  Responses public or private would be appreciated.

Mark:

The following texts should provide amply all that you need:

Arianism: Historical and Theological Reassessments. Ed. R C Gregg.
Cambridge, MA,  1985.
Luibheid, C. Eusebius of Caesarea and the Arian Crisis. Dublin, 1981.
Kannengiesser, Charles. Arius and Athanasius :two Alexandrian
theologians. Aldershot, 1991.

Williams, R. Arius:heresy and tradition London, 1987.

Davis, L D. The First Seven Ecumenical Councils. Collegville MN,
1990.

Hall, S G. Doctrine and Practice of the Early Church. London, 1991.

Hanson R P C.  The Search for the Christian Doctrine of God.
Edinburgh, 1988.

Young, F. From Nicaea to Chalcedon. London, 1983.

Cheers
Jim

James R. Ginther
Dept. of Theology and Religious Studies
University of Leeds
Leeds LS2 9JT
E-mail:                             Phone: +44.113.233.6749
[log in to unmask]             Fax: +44.113.233.3654
                            -=*=-
             http://www.leeds.ac.uk/trs/
             http://www.leeds.ac.uk/cms/   (**NEW**)
"Excellencior enim est scriptura in mente viva quam in
pelle mortua" -Robert Grosseteste.