If I could hazard a contribution to the critical geography discussion,
which may be off-base as I am a new subscriber, perhaps one element of
the debate surrounding critical geography should be along the following
lines...First, in the (now probably ancient) localities debate, scholars
like Neil Smith and David Harvey projected a metric related to "transformative"
politics, what some would call "revolutionary."  Some people are unsatisfied
with what they see as "transformative-bating," because it may seem like
an "idealistic" projection which lambasts the good will of various projects,
like gardening.  I think that there may be a third approach to this that
provides a means for getting around this stale-Miliband "revolution vs.
reform," approach.  The third approach would be to ask a series questions.
First, how can alternative social forms be extended, e.g. even community
gardens under siege?  Second, what are the barriers to this extension?
Third, how can the barriers be overcome?

I believe the objections of one camp are that "think global, act local,"
leaves social relations trapped at a limited scale of activity where
alternative social relations can not be extended. But, turning to the
gardening example, perhaps we could forge networks of gardening exchanges,
link gardens to cooperatives and progressive media, etc.  In this fashion,
by acting local one would simultaneously act globally.  There are some
good examples of this, e.g. the Equal Exchange cooperative and Twining
alternative trade groups.  A major problem, however, is that foundations
often do not fund activists to take the next step, the step that allows
local activity to be linked to more comprehensive activity, transformative
activity.  There was an excellent piece on this by Michael Shuman in the
Nation
Magazine (Jan 12/19, 1998, p. 11-15), on this regard.  If one turns to
Shuman's piece, it becomes clear that academics and activists have much in
common in their common interests in projecting a theory and practice of
extending
alternative social relations.  I could say more about this, but I think
I may have overstepped my soundbite allotment....

Dr. Jonathan M. Feldman
Department of Technology and Social Change
Linkoping University
S-581 83 Linkoping, Sweden
PHONE: 46 13 285619
FAX 46 13 284461