On the Name of the Rose. . .  While I agree that the movie does perpetuate
stereotypes, I think that stern warnings need to be taken with a grain of
salt.  Students like films, and they are often eager to talk about them.

I, for one, took an interest in Spiritual Franciscans as a young high school
student when I first saw the movie.  The inaccuracies soon became clear, but
it was certainly worth the risk for my teacher to recommend that we go see it.

I have since used it in a class to talk about perceptions of the Middle Ages.
After a semester's work on the medieval Church, I get the students to watch
critically for things that they weren't sure were quite right.  It led to a
very good discussion on history and story, etc.

So I think it can still be used -- and to great effect -- if it's used wisely.

--Kevin

Kevin L. Hughes, PhD
Core Humanities
Villanova University