Hello from a new member, who has vastly enjoyed the many diverse and
informative postings from this group.

As I understand the process, today's dryer-shrink more closely
approximates the technique known as "felting" (application of heat to
wet wool), while medieval "fulling" refers to a process of scouring,
beating, washing and (minor) shrinkage.  The fulling process was
efficiently carried out by water mills adapted to the purpose;
feet/hands and tubs of water sufficed where the mill technology (or the
ability to pay for it) was not present.  Agreed that shrinkage of
recleaned woolens was probably not a major problem, after the original
length of cloth had been subjected to either the extensive felting or
fulling finishing process.  One of the several finishing steps in
fulling was stretching the cloth to regulation length/width.  Records of
prosecution or guild censure for unacceptable length/width exist.  If
anyone has knowledge of shrinkage following recleaning or
post-processing, I would be most interested in references.  Also, I
remember reading many years ago (sources that now, alas, escape my
memory) that herbs/spices were applied to clothes to freshen them in
lieu of cleaning.  A reference I recently discovered in Letters & Papers
Henry VIII noted payment in 1546 to Mellesent Aylesbury for "6 dozen
bags of white janes fustian, weighing 14 lb., filled with sweet powder
to make sweet the King's sheets, at 3s. 4d. the lb.; also one bushel of
dried rose leaves with lavender."

Best  --  Susan Spisak

>Medieval woolens were already fulled (which is sort of what happens
when you
accidentally throw the sweater into the dryer and it shrinks) and so
were
likely not quite so prone to shrinkage.