On Fri, 24 Apr 1998, Thomas Izbicki wrote:

> A paper on abortion delivered at the Syracuse International congress of
> Medieval Canon Law indicated that there was more concern among the
> canonists about abortions induced by violence, a woman being struck by
> someone else, whether family or a stranger, than in abortions induced by
> medical practices or other voluntary means.

This reflects my findings in the sermon literature.  For example, in
*Jacob's Well* the preacher condemns those who committ manslaughter
through "enpoysenyng & in 3euyng drynkes to dystryin childeryn in *e
moderys wombe."  I also read recently--and I can't for the life of me
remember where, mayber here in *Jacob's Well*--that animation took place
on the fortieth day for specific reasons.  Does this ring a bell with
anyone?  I'll try to retrace my reading steps over the past few weeks to
see if I can find this reference.

Clint

Clinton Atchley
University of Washington