>> Another student desires a "violent" saint who participated in a war or
>> Crusade. He is considering St. Louis, but apparently was hoping for someone
>> a little more flashy, an Archbishop Turpin type. Can anyone suggest a
>> "saint" (the individual need not be canonized) that fits this profile, and
>> for whom there exist English-language translations of primary sources?
>

>> -Nancy Caciola

Saint (King) Ladislaus of Hungary would be another possible choice.  He was
noted as a military champion/protector of his country.  A miracle (1345)
records that, during a great battle with the Tartars, his head disappeared
from his shrine in the cathedral of Nagyvarad (now in Romania, then in
Hungary).  The head later returned covered in perspiration.  Captured
Tartars later described their defeat having been brought about by the
appearance of a ferocious mounted warrior, above whom hovered a celestial
woman.  this was, naturally, understood to have been St. Ladislaus (with an
aerial Virgin Mary).
Ladislaus I was king of Hungary (1077-95) - one of the sainted kings of the
Arpad line
he was canonized in 1192 (under king Bela III) - his relics enshrined in
Nagyvarad cathedral (which he had originally founded)
apparantly he was supposed to lead the First Crusade, but died too soon.
Medieval Hungarian sources frequently refer to him as "Athleta Patriae".
His cult rose to great prominence during the 14th century Angevin rule of
Hungary.
as far as sources - most are in Hungarian (and Latin, of course).  sorry, I
cannot think of a single english translation of his vita.

cheers,
Scott B. Montgomery