> >> Many departments don't stay in touch with
>  >>  their PhD holders after they get their degree, and tracking all of
these
>  >>  people down would be a major headache for the entire profession.
>
>  >This is a shameless and ridiculous lie.
>
>  Can we maintain some semblance of civil discourse here? At most
>  the first statement might be an exaggeration of the difficulties involved.
>  Even if outright untrue (which I do not believe it to be), there is no
> reason
>  to think that the original sender was trying to mislead.
>
>  Tom Cravens
>  University of Wisconsin-Madison

Mea culpa. Seeing my sentence out of context, it might not have been clear
that waht I was disbelieving was any department chair or college presdient who
said it was impossible to keep track of graduates.  I wasn't doubting the
sender of the post.

I do wonder a bit at any department chair or college president who doesn't ask
the alumni office for a list of current addresses of graduates.  It might even
be a nice gesture.  None of my three colleges has ever shown any interest in
what I'm doing from the moment I graduated. All they do is dun me for money. I
imagine that for people starting out in the profession, a kind word of
encouragement or some interest from their college might be particularly
appreciated.  I would guess the civility is being overlooked because everyone
thinks it's someone else's job.

pat sloane