To my deep distress I have to inform you about the death of Charles Davis,
one of the greatest scholars ever in our field, who notwithstanding the
blindness which some time ago suddenly had deprived him of his eyesight
nevertheless still had pursued his eminent scholarly work and also had
honoured this list with his generous participation in our discussions. As
Robert Durling kindly informs me, Charles had recently been hospitalized
because of a minor infection, was then discovered to be bleeding
internally, and by accident suffered a letal perforation of his lung when
it was attempted to locate the source of the bleeding. His death occurred
yesterday, on Good Friday, at ten in the morning. There is nothing I can
say but quote the words of Robert Durling: "What a loss -- not only a
great, brilliant, generous scholar, but one of the sweetest men and kindest
friends one could hope to have."

Otfried Lieberknecht, Schoeneberger Str. 11, D-12163 Berlin
phone & fax: ++49 30 8516675, E-mail: [log in to unmask]
  Homepage for Dante Studies:
http://members.aol.com/lieberk/welcome.html
  Listowner Italian-Studies:
http://www.mailbase.ac.uk/lists/italian-studies/