E.A. Clark wrote:

> Hello, I'm a first year PT student in my first clinical placement.  I had
> a client today who presented with trochanteric bursitis.  I'm having
> problems developing a treatment protocol for her.  So far I have her
> stretching her quads and hip flexors since they are the ones which are
> tight and rubbing on the bursa.  I also have recommended she use ice to
> decrease any inflammation in the area.  She reports the pain travelling
> into her groin along her inguinal ligament - I don't understand this.  Can
> someone figure this out?  Also, is there anything else I can do to treat
> her?  Would U/S work or is its thermal effect contraindicated?  Thanks for
> any insights,
>
> Anne clark

Perhaps you could describe what you found on your scan(assuming that you
are doing a Cyriax type scan as is commonly taught in the EV system in
Canada)to give a better idea of what else might be present.  I assume
that you are referring to pain on the lateral aspect of the hip being
felt along part of the ITB.  It would be possible that anything that
affects the ITB or the bursa( ie pelvic problems, muscle imbalance,
neurodynamic problems affecting the lateral cutaneous nerve of the
thigh, local inflammation from trauma, referred pain, etc) may affect
your outcome.  Once you determine more about the cause of the "bursitis"
you can get a better idea of what to do. Ross.