[log in to unmask] wrote:

> Hi> Recently in our assessment centre an unique case for our practice presented to the
> staff. The individual presented with chronic neck pain and postural change, total
> features were more consistent with what
> Cyriax describes as spasmodic torticollis. There was significant holding of one side of the
> neck and pain but no significant restriction; passive movement was obtained fully.
> >From the medical point of view a botox injection was carried out.
> I have suggested biofeedback as an adjunct to active exercise, postural correction and
> passive movement.
> I would be interested in suggestions, clinical experiences, comments and references.
> Thank you. Michael Kay email: [log in to unmask]

 Michael,

I had a patient who presented with very similar signs & symptoms, who was diagnosed as having
dystonia due to stress, and which was subsequently made worse by an RTA.  He was receiving
increasing doses of Botulinum Toxin (BTX) as well as hydrotherapy, stretches, postural
awareness exercises, relaxation.  It was only after approx. 9 months of the above that the
spasms became less frequent and more under the patient's control, although other injuries from
the RTA may have influenced this.

I found some very useful information on BTX and the conditions it is used to treat, from a
search in Alta Vista - I don't have it to hand, so try a search yourself.

Cathy Neyland