PERIPATETICUS PALATINUS (21)

Abelard responded to Heloise's letter with some difficulty.  Simply to have
got the matter off her chest may have been some relief to Heloise, because
in her next letter she is much calmer.  She asks Abelard if he can at least
give her something else to think about.  She asks him specifically for two
things:  first, a history of the order of nuns.  Abelard supplied this;  it
is not generally considered to be one of his more interesting works.

Heloise's second request deserves to be quoted at length:  ' . . . that you
will prescribe some Rule for us and write it down, a Rule which shall be
suitable for our women, and also describe fully the manner and habit of our
way of life, which we find was never done by the holy Fathers.  Through lack
and need of this it is the practice today for men and women alike to be
received into monasteries to profess the same Rule, and the same yoke of
monastic ordinance is laid on the weaker sex as on the stronger.  At present
the one Rule of St Benedict is professed in the Latin Church by women
equally with men, although, as it was clearly written by men alone, it can
only be fully obeyed by men . . .'

She points out that, as everybody knows, it is practically impossible for a
woman to get drunk.  She cites Macrobius and Aristotle as authorities for
this statement.  This is because women's bodies have more holes than men's.
'Through these holes the fumes of wine are quickly released.'  That being
so, was there any chance of a drop more wine in the daily allowance?  A bit
more meat in the diet would also be welcome;  not the thing for monks, of
course, but harmless and necessary to support the infirmity of the weaker sex.

She also fancied wearing linen next to the skin, like Augustinian Canons,
not the rough cloth worn by monks.  Abelard may have had that request in
mind when he made provision for the burial of his nuns:  'The body of the
dead woman must then be washed at once by the sisters, clad in some  cheap
but clean garment and stockings, and laid on a bier,  the head covered by
the veil . . . The burial of an abbess [and of course, Heloise was the
abbess] shall have only one feature to distinguish it from that of others:
her entire body shall be wrapped only in a hair-shirt and sewn up in this as
in a sack.'  Gotcha!

* * * * *

The Supple Doctor

By the way:  I shall be suspending my e-mail at Easter as I pay a visit to my
mother-in-law in Londonderry, New Hampshire.  She lives within striking
distance of Boston, Mass and I wonder if any cyberchums would like to get
together to clink a foaming tankard or two?  Also we shall pay a call on
Sister Susie who lives in Guilford,Ct. - not too far from New Haven.  Any of
my fellow Yalies, or others in the area, fancy something similar?