I meant to include the following information provided last year by Julia Bolton
Holloway and Tom Izbicki; I myself would be grateful for any further information
in this regard... George

* * * * * * *

Francesca Romana's convent still exists with its oblates and is only open to
the public this one day a year who can then see the most beautiful frescoes
of her live and miracles. Her oblates pay full taxes and expect no
privileges, consequently their convent has not been violated when others
were destroyed. See Alessandra Bartolomei Romagnoli, Santa Francesca Romana:
Edizione Critica dei Trattati Latini di Giovanni Mattiotti. Libreria
Editrice Vaticana, 1994, for text and images.
Can others on medieval-religion ... tell me of similar women's saints writings
and pictorial representations. Another I know of is St Umilta, whose sermons
survive, likewise Orcagna's sculpture of her and Lorenzetti's polyptich.

Also where can we find Catherine of Bologna's paintings?

Julia

There is an article on Francesca & the doctrine of Purgatory in:

Temi e immagini del Medio Evo: alla memoria di Raoul Manselli (Rome, 1996).

tom izbicki

George Ferzoco                    tel ++  44  (0)116  252 2654
Director of Studies for Italian   fax ++  44  (0)116  252 3633
University of Leicester           e-mail  [log in to unmask]
School of Modern Languages
LEICESTER LE1 7RH UNITED KINGDOM