>Let me mention on this occasion the very impressiv story told by Baroja in
'The world of
>witches' of an Spanisch Inquisitor who around 1600 already suggested to his
>colleagues to stop preaching about the dangers of witchcraft. He had
noticed that
>there didn't seem to be any witches as long as nobody spoke of them.
>But ONE sermon was enough to have the next a row of people before his
office who
>wanted to denounce their neighbours... (loc.cit. S. 188)
>A very wise man indeed.

good story about the nature of social reality.  i wd make the same point
about apocalyptic beliefs: they are a direct function of discourse; and
silence about them serves as a performative utterance.

>(And quite an old argument against those who still want to blame only the
Church for
> early-modern witch-persecution who was in fact mainly the work of secular
courts and never-
>ending denounciation amongst the population itself.)

this is old and very tired polemic: the middle ages are a long meandering
thru periods where the church and the "seculars" exchanged these techniques
of scapegoating and persecution -- to try and pin the blame on the seculars
here really gets us nowhere in understanding the phenomenon, partly by
turning off all those who feel the church does bear significant late
medieval responsiblity for the paranoid and voilent discourse about witchcraft.

rlandes
Richard Landes
Boston University
History Department
617-353-2558 History office
617-353-2556 History fax

Center for Millennial Studies at Boston University
PO Box 239
Allston MA 02134
http://www.mille.org/
617-975-0299 CMS office