This raises the question of Francis and his relations with Muslims and
Jews. A friar friend reminded me that Francis was near Cairo " which, of
course, is not very far from Damietta... and, since the Testament was
written AFTER his sojourn in the Middle East, there could be some
connection there.  Especially given the fact that Francis also picked up
the idea (from the Muslims) of calling the towns to prayer (Letter to the
Rulers of the People)."  There is the question of Francis' father and his
religious background. Gemma Fortini wrote an article a number of years ago
that tried to prove that Francis' father was Jewish ( she was skating on
thin ice, to use a Minnesota expression).  Conrad Harkins, OFM presented
a paper at Kalamazoo a number of years ago that addressed this issue. He
discussed a sermon delivered by Giovanni da Capistrano in Vienna in the
1450's in which Giovanni identified Francis' father as being Jewish ( I
can summarize the details if anyone wants them). Conrad is very skeptical
about Giovanni's claims, but why would Capistrano bring the issue up?
Thanks, Julia, for your reply.

Bro. Steven J. McMichael, OFM Conv.