The manger to this day is stone, and Julio Romano tends to paint it as a
stone classical sarcophagus. Similarly St Birgitta's sarcaphagus in Rome is
a pagan one with putti. Bede is filled with these.

At 10.29 01/03/98 -0800, you wrote:
>On Sun, 1 Mar 1998, Stan Metheny wrote:
>
>> As further indication of your birth/death link here, also common was the
>> linking of the wood of the manger with the wood of the cross.
>> [Fortunatus develops the re-birth of creation through the death on the
>> cross theme further in his _Salve Dies_ poem/hymn/sequence.] BTW, wood
>> of the Cross theme has common links to --i.a.-- Eden (tree of life),
>> Ark, Throne, Temple, Manger, Gate (Jerusalem, heaven).
>
>In my work, I haven't run across the connection of manger and cross.
>Could you supply other references for commentators who made this
>connection?  If this is not of general interest to the group, please reply
>privately.
>
>Regards,
>Clint
>Clinton Atchley
>University of Washington

____
Julia Bolton Holloway, [log in to unmask]
Hermit of the Holy Family
via del Partigiano 16, Montebeni, 50014 FIESOLE, ITALY
http://members.aol.com/juliansite/Juliansite.htm

For he does not despise anything that he has made, nor does he disdain to
serve us at the humblest office that belongs to our body, for love of the
soul that he has made to his own likeness.                Wisdom 11.23-26
     Julian of Norwich, _Showings_, Westminster Manuscript, fol. 78 verso