Siggy wrote:

> Yes it does Relation Type does that. But what we are up to in DC is
> specifying what I would like to call compact form, things that are
> expressable in that old dot-format.

There is nothing in the current proposal that stops you from using the dot
notation for qualified DC.  For example:

    content="http://purl.org/metadata/dublin_core_elements">

[...]

> Could you, please, tell me why Relation need the subelement identifier,
> when the basic RFC-1 says that that is what unqualified Relation
> should contain (sorry Stu, we still need that word).

The current Internet Draft [1] says:

     3.13. Relation                          Label: "Relation"

     An identifier of a second resource and its relationship to the present
     resource.  This element permits links between related resources and
     resource descriptions to be indicated.  Examples include an edition of
     a work (IsVersionOf), a translation of a work (IsBasedOn), a chapter
     of a book (IsPartOf), and a mechanical transformation of a dataset into
     an image (IsFormatOf).  For the sake of interoperability, relationships
     should be selected from an enumerated list that is currently under
     development in the workshop series.

Please indicate the words which discuss sub-elements.

The D-Lib article "DC-5: The Helsinki Metadata Workshop" suggested the
following for unqualified DC:

   "IsBasedOn, http://purl.org/metadata/dublin_core_elements"

Using HTML's Meta element, this becomes:

    content="IsBasedOn, http://purl.org/metadata/dublin_core_elements">

Since then, it has been suggested that the "," is unnecessary, so we get:

    content="IsBasedOn http://purl.org/metadata/dublin_core_elements">

[1] http://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-kunze-dc-02.txt
[2] http://www.dlib.org/dlib/february98/02weibel.html

  Misha Wolf            Email: [log in to unmask]      85 Fleet Street
  Standards Manager     Voice: +44 171 542 6722            London EC4P 4AJ
  Reuters Limited       Fax  : +44 171 542 8314            UK
12th International Unicode Conference, 8-10 Apr 1998, Tokyo, www.unicode.org
   7th World Wide Web Conference, 14-18 Apr 1998, Brisbane, www7.conf.au

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual  sender,
except  where  the  sender  specifically  states them to be the views of
Reuters Ltd.