Daniel T. Kline wrote:

Misconception:

> That parents in the middle ages didn't love their children or that medieval
> people didn't have any conception of childhood, a la Aries.

Aries and Le Goff have a lot to answer for on that one. It is obvious
Aries is grinding an axe. He mercilessly misrepresents and misuses the
evidence for Roman and Medieval attitudes to children. And he is very
good at ignoring anything that doesn't support his argument. My real
question is, what is he trying to prove? Why does he want to show that
parents did not love their children until the modern period? I have one
suspicion, that it relates to Le Goff's ideas about the fundamental
change represented by the French Revolution. But I haven't read enough
other material by Aries to see if this is a trend in his other work.
Does anyone have any other suggestions on what he was up to?

--
Dr. Ronald A. Ross
School of History and Welsh History