---joseph pope <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> This for Larry Swain,
>         The missal in use in the middle of the 20th
century was virtually
> identical with the missal in use at the beginning
of the 11th century.
> Each day the introit, gradual, offertory, and
communion prayers were
> excerpts from the psalms.  The so-called epistle
was often from the old
> testament.  See my article "Missale Romanum" in
Fellowship of Catholic
> Scholars Newsletter of Sept 1994, page 27 and two
other periodicals.
> Actually until the latter part of present century
the missal suffered
> little change from the time of Saint Gregory the
Great.
> One can even go back further to the time of the
Gelasian Sacramentary.
> Joe Pope, Curator,  Bergendal Collection of
Mediaeval Manuscripts.

Thanks all for the information, I appreciate it.
Joe, I'll be sure to look up your article-thank you
for the reference.  I'll also see if I can dig up
some old missals!

Larry Swain