We have just returned from an exhaustive three day Study Tour to London.
One of the visits was to the DTI conference centre for a seminar with
Nicola Kirkup and Susan McGuiness from the DTI Competitiveness Unit. This
was the first school visit they have had and the material they produced
was superb. They are keen to host other school groups and if you want
information on this Nicola can be contacted directly at the DTI or using
the contact information on the DTI web site (link on our economics link
page http://dialspace.dial.pipex.com/geoff.riley/econlink.htm)

The material is based on Benchmarks for Business and covers a very wide
range of issues of micro and macroeconomic relevance to both students of
economics and business studies.

Both Nicola and Susan joined the RGS Newcastle group at the next seminar
with Martin Weale, Director of the NIESR - and engaged in a heated debate
about what competitiveness means. Martin equated it almost exclusively
with productivity and the exchange rate - perhaps examiners are looking
for a broader vision of the concept.

Geoff