With regard to Chris Sievewrights problem - I would like to speak up for
the IBwhile we are at it.  My impression (which may be wrong) is that it is
not understood.  IB students take 3 higher subjects and three standard
level.  In addition they write a 4000 word research essay on a subject of
their choice and complete a course on Theory of Knowledge which is examined
with two untimed essays.

As far as Economics is concerned the syllabus is similar to A level.  It
leaves out indifference curves + giffen goods but includes a whole area on
development.  Specific knowledge of UK banking is not required. Rather an
understanding of the concepts.

Whilst The % of A grades at A level have increased over 30 years, IB grades
have remained constant. (Improved A level teaching or falling standards -
take your pick}.

On top of this 150 hours of service and activity have to be completed.  In
my opinion an IB diploma is worth much more than 3 A levels.  Universities
offer either a point score which is good.  Oxbridge ask 36-40.  The max is
45.  Some universities ask for higher grades e.g. 766 (Max = 7) which is
less helpful as students then focus on their highers and  the whole point
is a broad education.
My grade 7 students would easily achieve an A at A level with a couple of
extra lessons covering the syllabus differences.  Their work level on the
IB is phenomenal but for students who cannot cope with the whole package -
a reduced certificate option is available.
If you are a university tutor or anteacher wanting to know more, my school
-Atlantic College -will be running training courses from the start of
August.