The Hagiography Society is currently soliciting information for its
eighth annual Directory of Researchers in Medieval Hagiography and
Related Fields.

If you'd like to be included in the directory and aren't already on our
mailing list [or have simply forgotten to send in your information form
this year], please send a message before February 7 to Sherry Reames
([log in to unmask]) that includes your name, preferred postal
address, telephone number, FAX number if any, e-mail address, current
projects that deal with saints or saint-related topics, and any recent
publications in these areas (we define "recent" broadly, including about
the past 10 years).

If you'd like further information about the Society (purpose, size,
publications, cost of membership, etc.), I'm appending a copy of our
general blurb for potential members.

over 100 of them from Europe and the U.K. and most of the rest from the
U.S. and Canada.

Each year the Society publishes three issues of its newsletter, plus an
annual directory of researchers in hagiography and related fields, which
includes bibliographical information on recent publications and a list of
works in progress as well as the researchers' phone numbers and addresses
(both postal and e-mail). Besides issuing these publications, the Society
holds an annual business meeting and organizes two or three paper
sessions at the International Congress on Medieval Studies in Kalamazoo,
Michigan, each May.  On the other side of the Atlantic, we sponsored
multiple sessions at the first two International Medieval Congresses at
the University of Leeds, in 1994 and 1995, and are planning a small
conference of our own in England in July 1998.  We hope to find
additional ways of working cooperatively with our colleagues in Europe
and the U.K. (including the other groups and societies of hagiographers
that have recently been organized in various countries).

Dues for 1997 and 1998 will continue at the following rates:

(a) for regular members in No. America:  $10.00 US or $14.00 Canadian
      for one year, $25.00 US or $35.00 Cdn. for three years
(b) for students in No. America:  $5.00 US or $7.00 Cdn. per year
(c) for regular members overseas:  7.50 pounds sterling (or the
      equivalent in the member's home currency) for one year, 20.00
      pounds sterling or the equivalent for three years
(d) for student members overseas:  4.00 pounds sterling or the
      equivalent per year.

Please note that the overseas rates are designed to cover the extra costs
of airmail postage abroad, and should therefore be paid by everyone whose
mailing address is outside North America.  Individuals overseas who find
it most convenient to pay in US dollars may of course do so; just
calculate the proper amount on the basis of (c) or (d) above.

Methods of payment:  We can now accept any of the following:
      cheques or money orders in US dollars
      cheques in Canadian dollars, drawn on Canadian banks
      cheques in pounds sterling, drawn on British banks
      cheques in French francs, Italian lire, German marks, or any other
national currency, so long as they are drawn on a bank of that nation.

All cheques or money orders should be made payable to "Hagiography
Society" and sent to Sherry Reames [see address below].

Copies of the 1997 directory (which gives the addresses and current
projects of over 250 researchers in hagiography and related fields) are
still available and will be sent to anyone who joins retroactively for
1997.  The next edition, due out in March 1998, will include only
updates, additions, and corrections to the 1997 edition.

For further information, contact Sherry L. Reames, Department of English,
University of Wisconsin, 600 North Park Street, Madison, WI  53706 (USA);
phone (608) 263-3790; FAX (608) 263-3709; e-mail