Richard Trexler's book _The Christian at Prayer_ has some information
about prayer postures--primarily as a background to Peter the Chanter's De
penitentia et partibus eius.  He mentions that the seventh prayer
position, more camelorum, was practiced by the aunt of Gregory the Great.
Anyone who attempts this postion--elbows and knees only on the ground with
arms bent upward at the elbow--will soon identify it was a penitential
position!  Such a position, Peter notes, is appropriate because we fall
down to the position of quadrupeds in recognition of our sinful fallen
state.

About this position Peter the Chanter says: "Item nota Gregorius papa
docet difficilem modum orandi, et alium a predictis sex, in expositione
parabole illius: 'Simile factum est regnum celorum homini regi,' etc. ubi
ait de quadam sorore patris sui hoc: 'Cumque corpus eius de more motuorum
ad lavandum esset nudatum, longe orationis usu in cubitis eius et genibus,
camelorum more, inventa est cutis obdurata excrevisse, et quod vivens eius
spiritus semper gesseritvel egerit, caro mortua testabatur.'  Et ita habes
septem utiles modos intercendendi pro peccatis tuis et omnium popullorum.
Hec figura septima quam habes antea hic preoculis docet enumcleatus quod
dictum est a Gregorio superius."

In this illustrated manual of prayer postures, Peter--with great
difficulty in some cases--cites the biblical precedents for the prayer
position, but has no precedent for the one mentioned here.

In addition to the linking of prayer postures and efficacy of prayer, of
interest  is Peter's statement that the postures are the
textbook for the laity by which they can learn about the proper
relationship of the pray-er before God.

Arlene Hilfer
Kent State University
Kent, OH 44242

I profess, and to my last breath I shall profess it, that both in body and
soul, in everything, whether in prosperity or adversity, you provide for
me in the way that is most suitable. . . with the one and uncreated
wisdom, my sweetest God, reaching from end to end mightily and ordering
all things sweetly.
         ---Gertrude of Helfta