George Ferzoco wrote:

>Dear colleagues,

>our University Librarian has asked me for suggestions regarding purchases
he might >make in the area of electronic resources for Italian studies. In
my ignorance, I turn to >you; are there, for example, Italian newspapers on
CD-ROM? Any serial >bibliographies? Encyclopedias? Any and all suggestions
are welcome!

I may suggest:

1) Dictionaries:

  Lo Zingarelli 1998 in Cd-rom - Zanichelli [Monolingual Italian
dictionary]
  Il Gabrielli in Cd-rom - Elemond [Monolingual Italian dictionary]
  Il DIR in Cd-rom - D'Anna [Monolingual Italian dictionary]
  Disc - Dizionario Italiano Sabatini Coletti - Giunti [Monolingual Italian
 dictionary]
  Il Castiglioni-Mariotti in Cd-rom - Loescher [Latin - Italian dictionary]
  Il Ragazzini 3° edizione in Cd-rom - Zanichelli [English - Italian
dictionary; summer 1998]
  Il Boch 3° edizione in Cd-rom - Zanichelli [French - Italian dictionary;
summer 1998]
  Il Marolli in Cd-rom - Hoepli [Technical English-Italian dictionary]
  Medicina e biologia in Cd- rom - Zanichelli [Medical and biological
English-Italian dictionary]

2) Encyclopedias

  Enciclopedia Zanichelli 1998 in Cd-rom - Zanichelli - Opera multimedia
  Omnia 1998 - Enciclopedia in Cd-rom - De Agostini
  Enciclopedia Rizzoli 1998 in Cd-rom - Rizzoli
  Encharta - edizione italiana - Microsoft

3) Newspapers:

  Both Il Corriere della Sera and La Stampa  published several cd-roms
  containing the full text of single years;
  a cd-rom of the magazine L'Indice is also available

4) And -- of course --  for Italian literature:

  LIZ 3.0 - Letteratura Italiana Zanichelli - New edition for Windows -
Zanichelli
   [770 full texts from Francesco d'Assisi to Pirandello and D'Annunzio
   with an engine for searching single words or for Boolean search]

The addresses of www sites of Italian publishers may be found at

  <www.alice.it/publish/net.pub/elencalf.htm>

  Lorenzo Enriques
  Redazioni Lessicografiche
  Zanichelli editore